Monday, January 30, 2012

First Project of The Year

With our big move to North Carolina we downsized a lot.   We were moving to an Asheville Bungalow.   But, we still had more than enough to bring with us and put in storage!  We did have to put quite a bit in the sunroom.
This is not my stuff, but this is what I delt with during the estate sale of my mom's and our stuff!
  The sunroom is at the front of the house and is long and narrow.   I needed to create a better space.  It is beautiful to sit out here and view the mountains, so I want to capture a good space.
Before

How many bruises do I have from navigating this?

My challenge has been to create a sitting area and be able to move in this small space.  So my first project of the year was a big one.  First, we rearranged the furniture to place a sitting area closer to the living room.  When guests come they can be part of the group.  I had to move the buffet to the end of the room to allow space!
So here we go:
Step #1 Rearranging the room went smoothly...well, we did break 2 of my new purchases.  My ironstone casserole and yellowstone bowl, ouch.  I will reveal at the end the new look.
Step #2 Here is where it gets fun...Anne Sloan Chalk paint
The table was painted with Old White all over and then 1 coat of Louis Blue on the apron and top.  I distressed the table making sure to sand the raised flowers on the table so the white would show thru.  Then clear wax.



Step #3 Next, the secretary...oh goodness a large piece.  This was overwhelming in my mind but once I started   I was in love. I did some repair work on the side top.  Quick glue and I was done

 Loving this process since I didn't need to prime, just took out the drawers, took off the door and applied Old White.  One coat on the drawers, two coats on the base.





Next, I applied the Louis blue to the drawers. 

 On to waxing... I think this was the step I was dreading because in my head I knew what I wanted but didn't know if I could get to where the image was.
I am happy with the results!

I distressed, applied the clear wax and followed with the dark wax. 


 I waited and buffed 2 times and then couldn't wait to put my stuff in.  I did change it up a bit.


I painted my little drawer blue also!!

I also decided to add some dark wax to my table!

Here is the new room design allowing for the room to flow into the living room and gives me a nice reading/office space

As you enter the "Front Door" it leads into the sunroom

Shelf on wall across from the above piece, there is a beautiful sitting chair beneath from my great grandmother.
 

Looking down the sunroom you can see I have a clear path!  Great sitting area for morning coffee and extra seating when guests come over.


My wonderful sitting area


 The buffet fit perfectly here and now the music center fits below.
Di

2 comments:

  1. Your sunroom is so lovely--cozy and light and airy at the same time. The secretary is so pretty in white and blue and your little table is great. We recently moved to NC, too. Isn't it a great state?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh the sunroom is so pretty! I love the painted furniture! And wicker is my fav!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! Please leave a comment or a question, I would love hearing from you! If you would like to hear back from me, please make sure to add your email to your google account. Di