Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Paperwhite Narcissus

This was my first year to plant Paperwhites , so after I decorated my kitchen counter...


I started to get my supplies together

I gathered my Ironstone Tureens
Removed the lids 





Got my potting soil and 10 bulbs, I got my bulbs from a local shop Thyme in the Garden

I planted the paperwhite bulbs in soil and in one bowl covered with my river glass from the French Board River.  I added water.  Now I learned of a hint to get the paperwhites compact so they won't flop over....



Flowerbulb Research Program at Cornell University
has found a simple and effective way to reduce stem and leaf growth of paperwhites.  The
“secret” is using dilute solutions of alcohol.  Properly used, the result is paperwhites that
are 1/3 to ½ shorter, with equal sized flowers that last as long as normal.  
What to do
and the shoot is green and growing about 1-2” above the top of the bulb.  At this point,
pour off the water and replace it with a solution of 4 to 6% alcohol, made from just about
any “hard” liquor.  You can do the calculations to figure the dilution, but, as an example,
to get a 5% solution from a 40% distilled spirit (e.g., gin, vodka, whiskey, rum, tequila),
you add 1 part of the booze to 7 parts of water.  This is an 8-fold dilution yielding 5%
alcohol. 
Then, simply use this solution, instead of water, for further irrigation (watering) of your
bulbs.  It’s as simple as that.  The result will be a plant that is 1/3 shorter. 


So we will see in about 3 weeks if this works!! Di
Joining some friends

Join the fun here each Wednesday!

vif187

Join Other Creative Souls at the Party  !!!!






Dixie n Dottie
Vintage On A Dime

3 comments:

  1. I also planted them for the first time!! They are growing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of using your soup tureen -- a beautiful planter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well FIRST< that bread/cake box is awesome!!! LOVE THAT!! and I'm so excited to see your paperwhites..oh I can smell them now!! I bet they want to stay short so they can reach down easier to get a sip of the booze mixture!! HAHA!!
    Just playing...but that is some really interesting research and I hope it works for you. I'd have to go buy a bottle of something for the first time in my life to try that!!
    Thanks so much for joining us for Pearls and Lace Thursday!
    Blessings,
    Doni

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! Please leave a comment or a question, I would love hearing from you! If you would like to hear back from me, please make sure to add your email to your google account. Di