Monday, August 18, 2014

Grey Days, Sun filled Days



Grey sky's always remind me that there are sunny days coming
On this Sunday, I am reflecting on Robin Williams death.  Depression and mental illness has been such a taboo subject in our society.  There is not a good support system to take care of people that suffer.  I haven't talked about this but my mother had paranoid Schizophrenia.   Schizophrenia is defined as “a chronic mental illness in which a person loses touch with reality".  


My mom was a strong, fun and loving woman.  But, when she did not take her medication she and our family suffered.  Growing up we were told she had a nervous breakdown.  As I went through nursing school, I studied and learned about her condition.
Unfortunately, trying to get her help when she was delusional was very hard.  I kept running into walls and mazes of laws to help protect her.  Since I was not her guardian and she had not hurt anyone, I could not admit her until she was a her worst.  Even then when she was admitted, the hospital system could not assist her after they discharged her out.  You see, she would take her medication there but not at home.  When medicated I could talk to her about the importance of taking medication and how it was like her blood pressure medication a necessity.  But, the medication would make her to tried and sleepy.  It was a constant battle.
Thankfully, I had a great support system, friends and family.  The waters were not always smooth and the way not always clear.  In the end my mom stopped all her medications and had a massive stroke.  It was heartbreaking because I couldn't get her the help she needed.
I know she is at peace and know if I could change things for her I would.  A lovely person once told me to think of this journey this way:  You and your mom were up in heaven and she had a particular journey to walk during her lifetime, God asked you to help her and you agreed.  Even if it gets hard and seems impossible, will you help her.  You said yes...and the journey started.  That counselor helped me through the depression of my fathers death and the continuation of taking care of my mom.
This is me on a sun shinny day in Italy!
I hope this day is a good day for you!  Thank you for letting me share.  Di

These words from "Jack", Robin Williams movie, now seem more poignant than ever: "Please, don't worry so much. Because in the end, none of us have very long on this Earth. Life is fleeting. And if you're ever distressed, cast your eyes to the summer sky when the stars are strung across the velvety night. And when a shooting star streaks through the blackness, turning night into day... make a wish and think of me. Make your life spectacular. I know I did." Robin Williams, God Bless You.  And please be aware that you may not understand what someone is going through, the pain behind their eyes, just care and hopefully you can help.  But most of all just care.  Joining:

 COZY LITTLE HOUSE Keeping It Simple 

Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home
Boogieboard Cottage

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I think of my mom daily and her struggles and am finally glad I was there

      Delete
  2. thank you for sharing your story with us.. Your mom was very blessed indeed to have you as her daughter..... wish I could give you a real hug but this will have to do.

    HUG
    Sonny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hug received and I so appreciate your kind thoughts. Di

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!! Please leave a comment or a question, I would love hearing from you! If you would like to hear back from me, please make sure to add your email to your google account. Di