Friday, December 30, 2011

My favorite post and project of the year

One of my favorite projects of the year...Creating Time

Everyone loved their gifts this year.  I like everyone else love items that evoke a memory.  I am drawn to collecting bits and pieces.  When my mom and sister in law left behind so small items, I spent hours going through boxes.  I found rosaries, medals, keys, watch parts and gadgets.  My work area was covered with all the stuff and I must have fiddled for hours.  It gave me time to relect on my mom and dad, how much I miss them and how I value them.  With all that in mind I made these trays for my family.  What was really awesome is they cost about $1 to $5 per gift!!  Here is the post that I ran earlier last month...


My work Area
I have been in a frenzy getting my projects done.  I have been using my fabrics, gathered finds and my mom's watch and clock parts.  My daughters, grandsons and hubby have been helping.

I grew up playing in my Pops watch repair shop.  He had his shop ,downtown Orlando, in the front of the house.  He had the most fabulous workshop.  I would spend hours in his shop playing with the tools and jewelry.  I had my own drawer and would put "my" jewels in there.  I can still remember the ring I hid in there, I don't have that but do have a vintage wedding ring set he let me play with and too many watches!!  Or can you have to much...

Of course I had more than one drawer

Very similar to his workbench, I got this off Ebay and would love to bid if I had a place for it.




I made myself a little work tray for inspiration
These are secret surprises for my family...all made with my Pops and Mom's parts...I couldn't part with any of these, isn't that the way with all our collections!

 This one is for my hubby, the tray was at a church bizarre for $1, I couldn't pass up the curves and the tarnished patina

The Key is pointing "2 Always"!  The clock face from my mom's collection, the key from his sisters estate.

The St. Christopher's Medal I gave him when we were dating, the inscription is still there.
 The pins from his fathers work and a knob to hang jewlry.
2 are for my son-in laws and one is for me.

To me this symbolizes my mom, she loved silver and clocks.

This one is for my brother, he restores cars...I had to buy the speedometer but the rest came from our old house

I hope your projects were just as fun, thank you for letting me revisit my memories!!

Happy New Year,
Di
Sharing with lovely ladies



 

Beyond The Picket Fence



23 comments:

  1. Awww...this was such a nice post. :)
    Happy New Year! I must come back and see what else you are up to.
    Hugs..
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your collection of trays...so cool..hang on to them...love seeing your collections...phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - these are wonderful!
    Happy, Happy 2012!
    ~ Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a wonderful project! Happy 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are awesome! You should come and link up to my end of the year party as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great! I am happily following from Debbiedoo's newbie party. I hope you will follow me, too! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are awesome projects! I love this idea! Thanks for sharing! I'm a new follower. You have a lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this. Soooo Creative. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the trays. I need to try this. Happy New Year...Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have some of my favorite elements in your creations. Love it. New follower.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are works of art! So beautiful!

    I'm so glad to be your newest follower!! Come visit me sometime at 52mantels.com and follow me back if you get a chance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderfully awsome!! it took me a second to see that they all tell time ha ha! duh right. I have got to follow somebody who can be THIS creative! Hope to see you drop in sometime :)

    ~~Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there Di! I'm visiting from Debbiedoos newbie party and followed you! So glad that I found you! Hope to see you over at my place too!
    Love, Olga

    ReplyDelete
  14. You definitely out did yourself! These gifts are priceless...beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous idea! I pick up old trays all the time and am always looking for something new and exciting to do with them! Your designs are wonderful! I just know that everybody loved and was touched by their gifts! I saw your post on DebbieDoos Newbie Party and will now follow your blog! Looking forward to reading more!
    Hugs, Leena @pinkcherubmoon

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, these are amazing! Thanks for sharing such a clever idea,
    Karee

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Di, I love the trays with clock faces and parts! What special gifts you made.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey sweet lady, just stopping by to wish you a happy new year and love the ideas you have! Drop by my blog sometime to visit with my friend and me at
    www.southernjunkin.blogspot.com
    Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is sooooo cool. Thanks for sharing with my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are really neat! I love these! Such a fun, eclectic idea that would be a talking piece for any home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Found your site through Debbiedoos link party today.

    Love the trays.... what beautiful memories they will create.

    I'm in North Carolina, as well (the Outer Banks)...it's great finding a fellow blogger in the Carolinas!

    Lora

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very thoughtful and very pretty! Anyone would love to receive such thoughtful and meaningful gifts! I would love for you to share your project at my party too! http://theshadyporch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I love this!
    I did something very similar with some vintage hobnail lamps from my MIL's home and some of her and my FIL costume jewelry-- trinkets she saved that were from her kids and vintage buttons from her button boxes.
    Every one that has come to my home loved them.

    these trays are perfect gifts and have great sentimental value. I'm sure your family loved them!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!! Please leave a comment or a question, I would love hearing from you! If you would like to hear back from me, please make sure to add your email to your google account. Di